Model diesel engines.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Diesels?

3 posters

Go down

Which Diesels? Empty Which Diesels?

Post  Ivanhoe Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 am

"Which Diesels" sounds like that magazine!

I'm assuming this forum covers ALL model diesels, not just micro ones? hope so, the only two diesel engines I could NEVER get to start were the Albon Bambi and the Frog 50, those two put me off sub-.75cc diesels for life!
The Frog 50 was the first model plane engine my father bought for me, it's amazing that I didn't give up flying models there and then!
My second engine was an ED Hunter 3.5cc, talk about one extreme to the other! Great clumping, heavy pig of an engine, but it started!
Luckily by then I'd joined my local model club and under advice from members I never tried to fly the thing!
Nearly all the engines I owned in my previous modelling life were diesels, glows were not popular in England in the 50s & 60s' I just wish I still had the PAWs and Oliver Tigers I owned then!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Which Diesels? Empty Re: Which Diesels?

Post  Admin Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:23 am

Wilf.
I have never had a real bambi or frog 50.
But my replica bambi and frog 100 were great engines.
I never really like English glow engines in general but love the diesels.
I have a DV wasp and am very disappointed.all other DC engines I have were great.
Indra
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://modeldieselengines.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 am

Admin wrote:Wilf.
I have never had a real bambi or frog 50.
But my replica bambi and frog 100 were great engines.
I never really like English glow engines in general but love the diesels.
I have a DV wasp and am very disappointed.all other DC engines I have were great.
Indra

You must remember, Indra, I was about 10 when I was trying to start the Frog 50, it was the first engine I'd ever seen, years later I could have got it going, as I probably could have the Bambi, although I think that engine had a problem, or was probably worn out.
The first engine I ever bought new was an AM 25, 2.5cc, not a racing engine by any stretch of the imagination, but a real slogger, easy to start, as all AMs were, and that engine went into dozens of models over the years. In those days you usually owned just one engine, and swapped it between models as you wanted to fly them.
Later on, when I was into almost only C/L models, combat mostly, the only engine you ever considered was the Oliver Tiger, in my opinion (And many others) the best diesel engine ever produced, just look at the price any genuine example fetches these days! Even second-rate replicas go for stupid money.
I had a DC Wasp at one time, and as far as I remember it wasn't a bad little engine, about the same class as the Wen Mac
I'd love to get examples of the diesels I had in my youth, but the collectors have pushed them out of reach these days, even if I had the money, I'd refuse to pay £45 for a Frog 80 which sold new for 45/- (£2.25) Which Diesels? Frog_810

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 am

Oh the older wasp were amazing the green heads were the cream of the crop.
Knowing the AM rep I was very disappointed with my AE a later engines by dennis Allen.
The Oliver's are now being made again. Not replicas but real Oliver's!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  valic666 Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:49 am

First a happy good year with a lot safe landings and engine plesure for al!!
Hey guys! about the olis,yes they are great.I saw articel once how there are made...you cant get a better diesels...at a price..of course. I think the Oliver tiger 2,5 cc mkIV is 175 pounds...but is as a investment..those babys keep the money ,like exclusive china service porcelain..If you sell ten years later,you wil not loose the money. And about the global diesel story,oh yes,I admit I am addicted to them...Even start control line planes.( I was flying with a age of 15 years...now I get 50,ha,ha..!)
First a COX plastic ones with .49 glow get me the taste. Than a SIG acromaster with I had a lot fun.....and now starting from schratch a P-38.. with 2x PAW 0.9.
but its my first schratch build so its a lot setbacks and slow process,...but I enjoy go back in time and fly with diesels. My chanel on you tube is : valic000, so you can follow my steps. Also there is my diesel collection...arround 100 diesel engines...a lot rebuilds with new rods and pistons...a ovely hobby!!
The british and chech engines are my favorites.
Regards peter,Netherlands

valic666

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:07 am

Hi Peter, sounds as if you probably own most, if not all, of the diesels produced in Europe if you have 100!
Unfortunately, as I said in my previous posts, all of the old diesels nowadays are priced WAY above what I can or will pay, the "Big Bucks" collectors, who will pay any amount of money for them have pushed ordinary folks like me, on a limited budget, out of the picture.
It's a shame, because every old British diesel has happy memories for me of my youth, I owned most of them at one time or another, back in the "Golden Years" of aeromodelling, (the 1950s & 60s)
I notice that you say your P38 will have PAW .9s, is that the .09 (1.5cc)?

Good luck with your building project, and keep coming back to this forum, we must get it going properly!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:26 am

Hey Wilf.
If I hit some swap meets this year I will keep my eye out.
They can usually be had at decent prices.
You are looking for around .8cc right?
Under £25?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  valic666 Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:50 am

Hey Wilf!
Yeah I spend a fortune on those childrens,but its my hobby.I am a normal working man,but I can afford some.If I go to hollidays and spend 3000 euro,yeaa..got a lovely memorys and time...but the engines I have with me...and run them from time to time..just to smel the fumes,ha,ha...This gives me my positiv vibrations!
I got not only from europe,but also some russian engines and american diesels.heck my channel on youtube...Its some nice documentaris of how i rebuild them. I must admit,now I reach my limit with the engines,as I have a very smal house...( and also money ) as I also buy a lot tools and some machines to repair things....like a mini laith,a ultrasonar bath,a furnice to melt and harden metal,special gauges,millls and so on...
so now i focus a bit on control line. I have rc stuf like a 40 size spitfire...but I have not a lot expirience in rc,so the first attempt was less sucsessful as I hoped for Embarassed .Its repaird now and I wil try him once again..sure.Its a lovely plane!
But control line with diesels is different.You got the handel,feel the vibrations,get direct contact to the elevators...I think its the most close thing to real flying a plane.I just post part 2 of the building process and I make some steps forward..(I was 2 weeks free at home) So nasty weather...great for building!! lol!
And indeed, two 1,5 cc PAW engines. One I have. Once buy on ebay with demage piston and broken shaft& conrod.Thanks god PAW still suplies spares,so I buy a shaft,make a piston and rod myself,re-hone the cilinder and he run like mad. I put yesterday,as a testrun, a 3 blade 7x6 prop on it and check the rpm.Wel, peak was 10.000 !! and that is not bad. The say a 3 blade 7" is same as a 8" prop..and thats normal for a 2,5 cc diesel. .A 1,5 cc PAW who pulls a 8" 2 blade prop with that rpm is I think moore than healthy.By side,he is still not full run in.But the normal used rpm shoud be 9500,because at 10,000 ,he was really on the edge and on the lean side with that prop.
I order also today two 6x4 3 blade props,...just to check,what wil be better to run.The engines like you know, have a usefull rpm,and It shoud stay in that range.I wil keep your guys informed,promised !But its nice to find peopel like Jindra and others,who like to share the same passion,...al over the world... Laughing
Regards Peter

valic666

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Admin wrote:Hey Wilf.
If I hit some swap meets this year I will keep my eye out.
They can usually be had at decent prices.
You are looking for around .8cc right?
Under £25?

That would be great, Indra, yes, I can go to sub-£25, I would LOVE a Frog 80, which was always my favourite small diesel, but a Merlin or any other .75 - .8 would be very acceptable.
At present I only have the Silver Swallow 2.5 in diesel, so I'd be interested in 1.5cc and 2.5cc also, if the price was right, I got the Swallow off a friend in England, in excellent condition for £15, but of course that was "Mates Rates"! My ideal would be to get an AM25, Frog 80, and DC Sabre, which were my "Stable" of engines when i was a young aeromodeller, but that's unlikely!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 am

I will keep eye out.
I am surprised you did not mention a mills though Smile
I know where replicas can be had new for around £30.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:16 am

Admin wrote:I will keep eye out.
I am surprised you did not mention a mills though Smile
I know where replicas can be had new for around £30.

I'll bear that in mind, Indra, I'd love one, but even replicas that I've seen usually fetch £60 -£70 (and I can get a NEW K-Mills replica for less than that!) so if you have a source, I may be in the market in a month or two.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am

Yeah look.
http://carlsonengineimports.net/products/oldtimer.shtml

They have a lot of interesting engines there.
I may want one too so tell me if you do as if it is at a good time for both of us we could share the order so as not to pay international shipping twice.
Indra
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:28 am

That's the same site I was refering to when I said I could get new replicas cheaper than idiots pay on EBay, to be honest I've never bothered to convert the prices, so didn't realise we were talking £30 or so.
You're right about combining shipping when we order, I'll let you know
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Cool,
Yeah those lazy enough to only check one site lose out big time.
Like those paying 200 for Ron valentines diesels from his site when they go far cheaper on eBay,
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down